Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vanamo





Here's another small, white, naturally growing flower that like Vuokko is also a girl's name in Finland. It's among my favorites both as a flower and as a name, but hasn't yet been given to anyone in the family. Maybe some day I will have a couple of white kittens I can name Vuokko and Vanamo!

The scientific name Linnaea borealis is the basis for another Finnish girl's name, Linnea, which is much more popular than Vanamo but less common than Nea (short for Linnea), a girl's name that has for some time been among the top ten baby names in Finland.

The leading Finnish jewelry designer, Kalevala koru, has a (ridiculously expensive) Vanamo series that I've been admiring for years and years.

All of Finland is going offline to celebrate Midsummer now, and so am I! Have a lovely juhannus, everyone! Ihanaa juhannusta kaikille!

No comments: